Your hair edges are the most tender and fragile hairs, please always protect them with extra care. The beauty crisis to avoid (thinning & bald edges) -
Why this happens you ask?
- DIY (Do It Yourself): Risking your hair edges to get a dope hairstyle done instructed by one of your favorite YouTubers (con artists) is not worth the pain and suffering of having balding edges.
- Going overboard with the gels: Some of the gels on the market contain too much alcohol which results in dry, damaged hair.
- Hair glue: Your edges can not take too much glue and the glued hair units on them is just a setup for fragile edges.
- Too much tension: many of us are stretching our hair entirely too much when styling ponytails, braids and updos.
- Wearing “protective” styles 365 days a year: Weaves, wigs, braids and updos were never meant as a long-term option. Moderation is key when it comes to protective styling and it’s important to let your edges get a rest from being pulled taut in protective styling
- Wearing heavy and stuffy synthetic or low quality hair weaves or pieces, whose weights drag and pull down your own hair so much. Good quality human hair is light, soft, flowing and ventilated.
How do we prevent it?
- Be careful of headbands and hats. Look for headbands with a silk lining, or use a thin satin scarf in between your hat and your hair. Satin or silk will protect your fragile edges from catching or breaking on hats.
- Wrap and protect your edges at night with a silk scarf or bonnet. Any other fabric (even the cotton of your pillowcase) will absorb oils and moisture from your hair, making it dry and brittle. Friction with the pillowcase will also snag and break your edges. Tie the scarf on your forehead instead of directly on your edges, to avoid frictions.
- Massage your edges with natural oils to keep moisturized and stimulate growth. The oils themselves stimulate growth and protect and strengthen your hair, and massaging your scalp also stimulates blood circulation and promotes growth.
- Deep condition regularly to strengthen your edges (along with the rest of your hair.)
- Stop using heat. Since the hairs at your edges are the most fragile hairs on your head, heat tools have the potential to completely fry them.
- Save and invest in good quality human hair weaves, wigs or pieces if possible.
What we want to achieve:):)
Share this post